NEB offers two bacterial protein expression systems in E.coli; the NEBExpress® MBP Fusion and Purification System (NEB #E8201) and the IMPACT™ System (NEB #E6901). Both systems can generate and purify high yields of recombinant proteins.
The NEBExpress® MBP Fusion and Purification System (NEB #E8201) takes advantage of the strong Ptac promoter and the translation initiation signals of maltose binding protein (MBP) to enhance solubility and expression levels of a desired protein in E. coli. The resulting product is an MBP fusion protein, which is then purified by affinity chromatography.
The IMPACT™ System (NEB #E6901) allows fusion of a tag consisting of an intein and a chitin binding domain (CBD) to either the C-terminus (pTXB1) or the N-terminus (pTYB21) of a target protein. In the presence of thiols, such as DTT, the intein undergoes specific self-cleavage, which releases the target protein from the chitin-bound intein tag resulting in purification of the target protein in a single chromatographic step with no need for proteases.
Over 40 years in protein expression and purification – a historical perspective
This article provides an overview of the advances in protein expression and purification methodology over the past 40 years.
- Protein Expression & Purification Brochure
- Purification Beads, Columns and Resins Brochure
- IMPACT™ Vectors and Applications
- Protein Expression and Purification Selection Chart
- Yu, H. H., et. al. (2010) Expressed protein ligation for the preparation of fusion proteins with cell penetrating peptides for endotoxin removal and intracellular delivery Biochim Biophys Acta; PubMedID: 20170629
- Chong, S., Mersha, F.B., Comb, D.G., Scott, M.E., Landry, D., Vence, L.M., Perler, F.B., Benner, J., Kucera, R.B., Hirvonen, C.A., Pelletier, J.J., Paulus, H., and Xu, M.Q. (1997) Single-column purification of free recombinant proteins using a self-cleavable affinity tag derived from a protein splicing element. Gene; 192, 271-281. PubMedID: 9224900
- Guan, C.D., Li, P., Riggs, P.D., and Inouye, H. (1988) Vectors that facilitate the expression and purification of foreign peptides in Escherichia coli by fusion to maltose-binding protein. Gene; 67, 21-30. PubMedID: 2843437
Products and content are covered by one or more patents, trademarks and/or copyrights owned or controlled by New England Biolabs, Inc (NEB). The use of trademark symbols does not necessarily indicate that the name is trademarked in the country where it is being read; it indicates where the content was originally developed. The use of this product may require the buyer to obtain additional third-party intellectual property rights for certain applications. For more information, please email email@example.com.
This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
This webinar shares solutions developed by NEB scientists for producing various classes of protein, including: genetically-tailored E.coli host strains, expression vectors and valuable guidelines for generating properly-folded recombinant protein.